There’s a famous saying,” THE WILL OF GOD WILL NEVER TAKE YOU, WHERE THE GRACE OF GOD WILL NOT PROTECT YOU.” So apt is this saying. Whether you are a common man, a millionaire or a celebrity must face the wraths of health. Out of the various cancers that people suffer, Breast Cancer is the most common cancer diagnosed in women. It is the second most common cause of death from cancer among women.
The facts show that celebrities have faced the tentacles of breast cancer and have emerged as survivors after fighting the disease like any common women. The celebrities to name a few are yesteryears Mumtaz, Tahira Kashyap, Barbara Mori, Angelina Jolie and Telugu actress Hamsa Nandini.
All these celebrities who have battled breast cancer are not only glamourous actors with tremendous acting skills but, are also inspiring people all over the world as cancer survivors. They have bravely faced all the stressful situations of treatments with a smile and are encouraging millions of admirers to keep fighting the dreadful disease for life. Above all this family support has also helped them to fight the cancer.
Film maker and author Tahira Kashyap, Ayushmann Khurana ‘s wife did not hide when she was diagnosed with breast cancer instead made it known to her fans and documented the whole process to inspire them. Today she is cancer-free.
Barbara Mori, kites actress, a survivor is raising awareness among women to take care of themselves and how frequent checkups are a must.
Mumtaz, the veteran actress who was the favorite of the Indian cinema lovers, has fought the breast cancer in her 50s after six Chemotherapies and 35 Radiation treatments. The actress is healthy and leading a happy life with her family.
Hamsa Nandini, she received a lot of love from her fans and is undergoing treatment.
Angelina Jolie, a celebrity and a cancer survivor says her mother and grandmother were also victims of Breast Cancer like her. But, now with advanced and sophisticated treatments, her ordeal is comparatively is less and feels Chemotherapy medication is the best treatment.
Stories like these give us the hope, but we still have a long way to go. Medical treatments are a must, we should also see to the dignity and support we could extend to women, which are not given enough. The victims must bravely face it and undergo treatment according to the doctor’s advice so that you can see your grandchildren grow into young adults.
People often ask these celebrities about the physical scars that are on the body. They say the scars remind them of what they have overcome. These scars make them unique and they are the most beautiful patches of their existence.
Let’s see to the causes and other factors of BREAST CANCER:
CAUSES OF BREAST CANCER:
- Age-55 and above women and a rarely in men increases the risk for breast cancer.
- Family history and genetics.
- Women are more likely to get breast cancer than men.
- Smoking, alcohol.
- Radiation exposure.
- Hormone replacement therapy.
SYMPTOMS OF BREAST CANCER:
- a lump in the breast or thickening that feels different.
- Change in the size, shape or appearance of a breast.
- A dimpling on the skin of the breast.
- If the nipple is inverted.
- If the skin surrounding the breast gets peeled, scaling or flaking.
- Redness of the skin over the breast, like the skin of an orange.
- If there is an oozing from the nipple.Any of these symptoms it is better to see a doctor, even if a recently taken mammogram was normal.
PREVENTION FROM GETTING BREAST CANCER:
Making changes in one’s lifestyle, like:
- Take the doctor’s advice when to get a mammogram, screening exams done.
- Talk to the doctor about the screening strategies that are right for you.
- Self-examining of the breasts for changes, lumps or other unusual signs in your breasts.
- Consuming alcohol in moderation.
- 30 minutes of regular exercise.
- Speak to the doctor to limit postmenopausal hormone therapy.
- Must maintain a healthy weight.
Intake of a healthy diet, like virgin olive oil, plant-based diet, fruits, vegetables, nuts, whole grains, legumes and fish, instead of red-meat.
TREATMENT FOR BREAST CANCER:
- Surgery is the first step to treat early breast cancer. You may also have a mastectomy—where the entire breast is removed or a lumpectomy-where only the tumor and some surrounding tissue are removed.
- Radiation Therapy –Those who have a lumpectomy will have radiation therapy to get rid of any cancer cells that may remain. Generally if mastectomy is done and if there is no cancer in the lymph nodes there is no need for radiation therapy. In some cases after mastectomy radiation therapy is done to treat the chest wall, the axillary lymph nodes or the lymph nodes around the collarbone.
- Sometimes to see that the cancer does not recur after surgery Chemotherapy, Hormone therapy and Targeted therapy is done. These drug therapies are known as Systemic therapy or Adjuvant therapy.
PRECAUTIONS FOR SURVIVORS OF BREAST CANCER:
- Even after the completion of the treatment follow –up appointments must be followed according to the doctor’s advice.
- Any cancer treatment may have a few side effects, so it’s better to discuss with the doctor about any changes or problems and ask questions and clarify your doubts.
- A few tests may be done again like Mammogram, Pelvic exams, Bone density tests, other tests like x-rays, bone scans, CT or PET scans.
- Keep in regular touch with your doctor.
- A diet plan to be followed, physical activity and other necessary lifestyle changes to be followed.
- Keep a copy of your medical record.
- keep your health insurance, as cancer could come back.
AWARENESS OF BREAST CANCER:
Many are aware about breast cancer but still due to negligence of women, not examining their self is leading to diagnose breast cancer in its advanced stage. So regularly women should attend workshops wherever conducted and update themselves about causes, symptoms, treatment and follow up action.