(Chest Wall, Lung, Eesophagus, Breast) Please follow these simple instructions during the course of the therapy. Please show this to your referring or family doctor for their information and guidance.
Precautions Regarding Treatment Area
1. Preserve any marks on skin carefully. In some cases, marks will be tattooed for positioning.
2. Bath with lukewarm water. Dab skin dry very gently.
3. Do not rub the skin. Keep dry with body talcum powder.
4. Do not expose to direct sunlight, hot water bottles or ice bags.
5. Do not apply any lotions, oils or deodorants during treatment.
6. Avoid adhesive tapes for dressings.
7. Use transpore or micropore only.
8. Wear loose, cotton clothes.
9. The doctor will prescribe any ointments or GV paint when indicated.
10. After mastectomy, arm exercises are recommended as soon as possible.
1. Plenty of rest.
2. A high protein and carbohydrate diet to be maintained.
3. Bland, non oily, soft diet when advised.
4. Plenty of liquids (2-2.5 liters daily).
5. Avoid alcohol, smoking and pan/ tobacco chewing.
6. Blood counts to be checked regularly.
7. Weigh yourself weekly.
8. Most side effects will settle down within 10 – 12 days of completion of radiation.
9. Consult your doctor for any specific problems.
Expected Side Effects
1. Cough and irritation in the throat.
2. Difficulty and pain on swallowing after the second week.
3. Change in voice in some cases.
4. Nausea and vomiting in some cases.
5. Skin changes of dryness, redness, itching and peeling may occur after 2-3 weeks.
6. Weakness and tiredness during the last 2 weeks of treatment.
7. Aggravated side effects when given along with Chemotherapy.
8. The side effects will be minimized if you follow the instructions carefully.
9. These side effects are temporary and will resolve gradually after completion of treatment.
10. Don’t hesitate to ask your doctor about any complaints other than those mentioned above.
Expected Side Effects
1. Skin changes of dryness, redness and peeling may occur after 2-3 weeks.
2. Dryness of mouth with sticky saliva.
3. Bad taste and smell in mouth.
4. Loss of taste.
5. Soreness in oral cavity after 2nd week.
6. Difficulty in eating, drinking and swallowing after 3rd week.
7. Temporary loss of hair in treated area after 2-3 weeks.
8. Radiation reactions aggravated when given along with Chemotherapy.
9. The side effects will be minimized if you follow the instructions carefully.