Please follow these simple instructions during the course of the therapy. Please show this to your referring or family doctor for their information and guidance.
Practical Hints regarding Fever & Infection
- 1. Preserve marks on skin when made. Normally a customisedmould will be made to facilitate treatment positioning.
- 2. Do not expose to direct sunlight.
- 3. Gently sponge the area with lukewarm water. Dab dry gently.
- 4. Use body talcum powder only in treatment area.
- 5. No medication, oils, deodorants, or cosmetics to be applied in treated area. Avoid scratching or rubbing of the area. Do not apply hot water bottles or ice bags. Using electric shaver is recommended.
- 6. Do not use adhesive tape for dressing. Only use of transpore or micropore is suggested.
- 7. Wear loose, cotton clothings.
- 8. The doctor will prescribe ointments or GV paint if needed, for peeling of skin.
- 1. Good dental hygiene to be maintained. Use a soft toothbrush.
- 2. Carious, loose teeth must be extracted before Radiotherapy.
- 3. Regular application of Fluoride Gel for 3 months.
- 4. Do not extract any teeth for 1 – 2 years after therapy.
- 5. Frequent mouth washes using antiseptic rinses.
- 6. Salt and Soda-Bicarb gargles (1 pinch each in 1/2 glass water) every 2 hrs are helpful.
- 7. Avoid spicy, hot, rough, fried or citric foods.
- 8. Liquids to wash down food during meals.
- 9. Blenderized or soft diet with plenty of gravy.
- 10. Eat small, frequent meals.
- 11. Avoid alcohol, smoking and pan/ tobacco chewing.
- 12. Sips of water every few minutes to moisten mouth throughout the day.
- 13. Check with doctor for further medications.
- 14. If using dentures, keep then clean by soaking / brushing everyday.
- 15. Can chew sugar-free gum to keep mouth moist.
- 16. Exercise your jaw muscles.
Expected Side Effects
- 1. Skin changes of dryness, redness and peeling may occur after 2-3 weeks.
- 2. Dryness of mouth with sticky saliva.
- 3. Bad taste and smell in mouth.
- 4. Loss of taste.
- 5. Soreness in oral cavity after 2nd week.
- 6. Difficulty in eating, drinking and swallowing after 3rd week.
- 7. Temporary loss of hair in treated area after 2-3 weeks.
- 8. Radiation reactions aggravated when given along with Chemotherapy.
- 9. The side effects will be minimized if you follow the instructions carefully.
Dos and Don’ts during Radiotherapy
- 1. Do not get exposed to Sunlight for a long time.
- 2. Do not rub or scratch on skin marks site.
- 3. Do not apply any ointment, cream, soap, oil on radiation site.
- 4. Do not wash the radiation site too often.
- 5. Do not apply any adhesive tape on that area.
- 6. Do not shave on the radiation site, can use trimmer.
- 7. Do not move on the treatment table, while taking treatment.
- 8. Avoid spicy fried food.
- 9. Avoid very hot or very cold foods or drinks.
- 10. On account of any new complaints kindly contact the Doctor.